MMail did provide a flexible tool to send e-mail.
No tool however was available within MMail to receive e-mail. To receive e-mail you need some basic facilities:
- a POP-client, that contacts POP-servers asking for mail
- an e-mail presentation manager, able to understand the structure of a mail (MIME) document, and to
display both its body and its attachments
If you implement such a mail-receiver, you are one step from providing a complete mailer.
Just add facilities to reply to mail messages, send new messages, organize your mail, set up your address book and you are done.
This is what AMailer is:
- a WEB mailer for IBM iSeries
- using at full extent the iSeries Integrated File System (IFS)
to store incoming, outgoing and archived e-mail messages and attachments
- totally written in ILE-RPG CGI
- open-source (full sources, no charge)
- imbedded in the MMAIL utility and integrated with it
This is what you can do with it:
- define multiple users
- users can be "Local" or "Internet"
- "local" users are not enrolled as mail customers at any Internet Service Provider (ISP);
however, they may connect to the iSeries server running AMailer, exchange mail messages among themselves,
even send mail to any regular internet e-mail user, but cannot receive mail from internet e-mail users,
because they are not served by any ISP (therefore they are no one in the Internet world).
Example of such users could be all the people in a Company running an iSeries.
- "internet" users own individual Internet e-mail addresses, and are used to manage their mail on PC's.
Now, with AMailer they can also manage their mail through their iSeries. This could be a useful backup solution.
- See Define User Accounts
and Appendix A.
- logon as a mail user and
- receive, display, and catalog your incoming mail
- reply to messages or send new messages
- See Work as user
and Appendix D.
- start a never-ending batch job (named POSTMAN) that, at a given time interval, receives and delivers to the AMailer users their incoming mail
- process the incoming mail for a given user with your own programs
AMailer is included in the iSeries MIME & Mail Utility (library MMAIL) distributed by this Easy400 site.
For prerequisites and so on, see this page.
AMailer is authored by
Giovanni B. Perotti, Italy.